What Documents Do I Need for a Japan Work Visa Application?

When you apply for a Japan Work Visa, you have to submit the following supporting documents:

  • The Certificate of Eligibility
  • Japan Work Visa
  • Application Form, completed and signed. You can download a copy of the application form from the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (here).
  • Your valid passport along with photocopies of it
  • Passport-size pictures in line with Japan following specifications:
  • Dimensions: 4cm x 3cm
    Taken within the last three months
  • Plain white background, without any patterns and shadows
  • You must be starting straight ahead, with a neutral facial expression
  • Your face has to be fully visible
  • The picture must be good quality (focused, clear, and sharp)
  • Documents detailing your position in the company/organization, the salary you will receive, and the duration of the work.
  • Documents attesting to your previous academic and professional history
    Documents related to the receiving company, such as company registration, statement of profit and loss, etc.
  • For artists: Any documents which show your artistic achievements.
  • For religious workers:
    Documents which show the details of the religious organization sending you to Japan
  • Documents which show the details of the receiving Japanese organization
    Documents attesting to your religious position and career
  • For researchers:
    Documents related to the receiving organization
    Academic and professional qualifications
  • For instructors or teachers:
    Documents related to the receiving organization
    Academic qualifications or an educational license.
  • For intra-company transferees: Documents attesting to the relationship between the two offices/companies.
  • Any additional documents that the Japanese Embassy or Consulate requests, depending on your profession

What to Do After Entering Japan With a Work Visa?

Once you enter Japan with your Work Visa, you will receive a Landing Permit at the port of entry. The Landing Permit replaces the visa and works as “permission” allowing you to enter Japan.

In addition to the Landing Permit, you also need a Residence Card and a Re-Entry Permit (but only if you’re going to leave the country for more than one year).

Getting the Residence Card
If you enter Japan through the Narita, Haneda, Kansai or Chubu Airport you will get a Japanese Residence Card along with the Landing Permit. However, if you enter through any other port, you gave to go and get a Residence Card at the local municipal office where you will live in Japan.

After that, within 14 days after you set up residence in Japan, you have to register at the local municipal office (also known as Ward Office) of where you are living in Japan. Your address will be printed on the Residence Card.

When you need a Re-Entry Permit
You need a Re-Entry Permit only if your stay outside Japan exceeds one year. If you will leave and return within one year, you only need a Special Re-Entry Permit which you can get at the airport before you leave.

See how to get a Re-Entry Permit and Special Re-Entry Permit for Japan.

Our Experts Always Ready to Work With You.

Let's Talk

Request a Free Quote